Friday, October 17, 2008

Everything has to start somewhere...

This is the beginning of what I intend to use to publish honest comments for all to see. I don't intend to be politically correct. I don't intend to limit myself to any one kind of format, topic, or expectation. What I do hope is that anyone who finds themselves reading what I write, will think about, respect, and discuss such thoughts with me and others. I hope that such communication expands the knowledge of every reader, whether they agree with me or not. This being said, not everything that I write will have substance (this paragraph), and not everything I write will be consistent with what I have written previously. I reserve the right to change my mind from time to time and not lock myself into any particular viewpoint or opinion. When I express an opinion, consider it to be thought out, current, but also subject to debate. Right, so let's get on with some substance, or not.

Q's Continuum is something that I would like to explain. I have used it for many years as the name of my micro-business ventures, my fantasy sports teams, and other items such as this blog. I feel that the name reflects a vastness that so much can fall into. For those who are familiar with Star Trek, you may realize where the name comes from. I will provide a brief explanation. Q is a character in Star Trek. While not a deity, Q does appear to be omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. He is one and also many, who come(s) from a space called The Continuum. He is an intriguing character and I felt that a play on the names would provide an excellent name in itself for a variety of uses.

I have really grown to like using the ellipsis (...). Please don't hate on it's use, as I feel that it goes a long way to not locking me into statements that I make. It kind of lends a trailing off to thoughts that leaves me feeling comfortable. One might ask, "Doesn't comfortability with not locking yourself into a position make you just like a politician?" I would answer, YES. This however does not mean that I have any aspirations to be a politician. If I did, I probably wouldn't be writing this in the first place. I do however feel that it is important for me and for everyone else to keep open minds about most everything. Locking yourself into judgements of this and that stifles diversity and fosters segregation. I challenge everybody to always ask themselves what more they can find and consider about topics that they find themselves forming a solid opinion. I'm not saying that solid opinions shouldn't be formed about anything, but I'm saying that the concept of not wavering from an opinion is not something that furthers progress in society. In this blog, I will probably express many of my own opinions, some of them controversial, but I try to remind myself that they are subject to change, given the right stimulus. Can you find the solid opinion that I have expressed in this paragraph...?

Twitter is something that a friend turned me on to recently and I've found it to be intriguing. While some may see Twitter as not very different from any other form of social networking that has been around for a while, I see it as a novel concept that allows friends and strangers to get brief glimpses into the lives of people that sound interesting to them. By reading others' brief posts, often expressing opinions different between the reader and the writer, a type of social discourse is occurring that I believe to be good for the furtherence of society. This opinion may eventually change. At some point, I may think that Twitter, this blog, and the internet itself are silly and a waste of time to explore...as my opinion of Facebook has slowly become. For now, Twitter remains intriguing.

Now, for my controversial topic of the day, jaywalking. I lose absolutely no sleep at night due to often crossing a street against a traffic light when no traffic would interfere, or because of sometimes just crossing a street where there is no crosswalk and no potentially interfering traffic. I do this a lot, especially when running, so as to keep my pace. My only reservation is when law enforcment is present. Some localities such as Minneapolis and St. Paul have implemented large fines for jaywalking that I don't care to pay. My problem is not with the people that do what I just described. My problem is with those who decide to wander across the road, obviously not caring about traffic or anybody else. My guess is that most people know what I am describing. While my admitted actions may show a disrespect for a statute, these other people show a disrespect for everyone except themselves. I am convinced that people who blatantly jaywalk and cause traffic to slow down (two different hazards there) are themselves convinced that 99% of drivers will not hit them because it's not at all worth the hassle and trouble that would follow. I don't intend to hit anybody like that, but I am coming increasingly closer to such street crossers, trying to put some kind of fear into them, showing them that I won't just back down from this behavior. To those who don't care about anyone else but themselves, please refrain from crossing the street if there is a chance that traffic will be wanting to occupy the same space as you. Please respect those that are around you and maybe you will find more people respecting you. If you don't refrain from this behavior and someone does eventually hit you because they have an attention lapse while driving, I will not feel sorry for you and I may very well have sympathy for the driver. I'm not one to give sympathy for those that I feel engage in obviously idiotic behavior. It does nothing to improve society. I'm not saying that I need you to give a fuck about anybody else, but that doesn't mean that you don't need to respect anybody else. Stop being lazy, find a crosswalk and look for traffic. Rant over...

1 comment:

Rob Vandersteen said...

am I your first?? Enjoyable reading!